Reconstruction and enlargement of the Museum of Fine Arts
Year of inauguration
The building of the Museum of Fine Arts in 1900–1906 formed part of the large-scale urban architectural concept that also brought Andrássy Boulevard into being and its closure, Heroes Square. By the end of the late 20th century, the museum’s functions and institutional requirements had fundamental changed: new activities and services had been introduced; a signifcant part of the collection had been preserved in airconditioned storage; the rearranged permanent exhibitions had been complemented with seasonal shows; and new facilities, including lecture halls, children’s and adults’ creative workshops, studios and cafés, had been established. The comprehensive reconstruction of the building was combined with the addition of new spaces within the museum’s main walls without seeking to be historicising but implemented with modern technology and following the most progressive aspirations.