Reconstruction of the Markó 9 Office Block
MIKLÓS DOMBI , TAMÁS PINTÉR
Year of inauguration
The building of the transformer house in Budapest’s 5th district represents remarkable architectural value and is therefore a protected monument. It was built in 1930 in the heart of the city, in the vicinity of the House of Parliament, in a prestigious and densely populated area with institutions of state administration as well as public and commercial buildings. The ground level used to be the premises of a bank, which is why there is a still functional, modern bank vault in the building. Special features of the building are the windows with extensive glazed surfaces opening onto the exterior space, a roof terrace decorated with green coﬀers, and a conservatory on the 4th ﬂoor. The fve-storey Art Deco office block is spatially varied and two of its levels are divided with an interior gallery. The playfulness of the space is further increased by the diﬀerent heights of the ceiling and special solutions for letting in natural light.